Saturday, June 19, 2010

Melbourne Day 4 thoughts

the cold can do funny things to you. especially when it's rainig and windy at the same time. It's day 3 and i just played 80 yesterday and was super pumped to play a good round today. but the weather made me go crazy. no, not in the psycho way. but in the way you start thinking up nonsense stuff and can't really feel your body. i can't believe i actually started crying somewhere on the 13th hole. not even sure why i was making myself feel miserable. i knew i was playing quite well but the wind was taking my putts to insanity land.

the wind blew so strong that the flag pole was bending over. putting against the wind means you have to smash it or it'll go nowhere and if you are putting with tail wind, just a little tap will make the ball fly wayyyy past.

thats the thing about playing golf with really strong wind. it not only affects cflub selection, but even affects your putt. it even makes your putting stroke feel different. when there is immense tailwind, it takes alot of effort to bring your putter back and then when you stroke through the putt, the wind doubles the strength you intended.

i hit so many good shots, but missed so many little putts. aiish
The good part about the cold is that i couldn't really feel my body moving and i just let it go. there was this smoot rhythm that just came naturally without any effort. i want to hit shots like that when i go back to singapore.

furthermore, it was awesome because i transcended the whiny-ness and just had this very zen-like calmness about the situation. i was so in the moment that i was enjoying the frozen-fingers-cold because i was playing well.

star moment was on the 2nd tee when it started hailing as i was about to tee off. ice hit my face like shards of glass and i still hit a smokin- tee shot. whoo ! take that weather !! you will not bring me down !

i started on a really good roll. but halfway through i began thinking mean thoughts to myself. things that were very un-loving towards me and i didn't need them. but thats just a process i face. my mind went off on a roller-coaster ride and eventually i managed to get my head back on top of my neck.

at the end of the day, i'm only going to remember the awesome shots i hit and the good putts i saved for bogey. and especially how i played from that wonderful place inside. no worries, no fear, no cold, no warmth, just smooth rhythm and a calm peaceful mind to play my best. tomorrow is another day. i will play my best score tomorrow in bad conditions because i am awesome !

No comments:

Post a Comment