Wednesday, March 31, 2010

improving the mental aspect of golf

i've been resting my left wrist for the past two days
during this time i've been doing more work on my blogs, facebook page and also the mental aspect of my golf

i try to relax my body, visualize my perfect swing

in sports psychology, it has been proven that people who visualize themselves shooting 3pointers in basketball improve their accuracy by the same amount within the same time as people who spend the same amount of time actually practicing shooting 3pointers

even though i'm lying down, i visualize myself addressing the ball, how i grip the club, what the club feels like in my hands. i also try to imagine my surroundings and what the view is like. i draw a line connecting the sweet spot of my club head to my heart. on the backswing i feel myself getting into the right position and imagine myself working on the things i am trying to take note of in my swing. then on the downswing i feel my body driving into the ball and using my body to compress the ball. then i follow through with my club pointing down the target line and finish through smoothly :)

basically i visualize myself swinging the club the way i want to swing it all the time and imagine getting good contact with the ball. then when i know i have hit a good shot in my imagination, the actual feelings of satisfaction and happiness come to me naturally.

i do this in conjunction with creating the emotions that i would feel from hitting a good shot everytime. i imagine myself smiling with happiness after hitting good shots throughout the good game. the shots include sinking long putts, hitting long drives, solid iron shots and chipping and pitching the ball to near the pin.

in golf, they usually talk about visualizing your shot. this means the ball flight: where it starts out, what height and how much draw or fade you want it to achieve.
i haven't yet read about visualizing yourself and the emotions that are attached to hitting great shots

No comments:

Post a Comment